View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #78
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
First of all the Z/28 was more powerful than the SS, the SS with the 396 put around 350hp give or take, the Z/28 was rated at 290...rated...but that was just to get an advantage in the Trans Am series, the engines really put out a number closer to 420, so yes the Z/28 was more powerful and it had more aggressive gearing (wikipedia, video games, magazines, and anything else "official" will say 290hp just because that was GM's final word on the matter, that doesnt mean its true and it very much wasnt, the dynos were and still are closer to 420)

Anyways in response to this thread, may i be the first to smack my forehead...if you can already buy a 425hp Camaro what the hell is all the hype about a new one, lol, so what its a turbo V6 the V8 does that with not a damn thing attatched and thats where the bragging rights go, lol, and besides there wont be much weight savings, the V6 isnt THAT much lighter than the V8 and even then all the turbo stuff will even it out plus there'll still lower torque, the V6 is the economy car, not the performance car, stop trying to make it the performance car and all you tuners stop whining about it, this is a CAMARO not a friggin Civic, go rice out your 92' import-mobile...and if they do make a twin turbo V6 it better be the base engine for LT models (like Ford's doing with the Mustang) and that V8 better get the same 100hp boost, otherwise im totally not feeling the hype...plus the Z/28 needs to be the performance forerunner of the group, skim down all the luxury items (back seats stay, sorry guys this isnt a corvette its still a pony car) the most i'll let slide is leather, sunroof, and Bose radio, other than that throw all the other dumb accessories out cause they're making these cars cost too much as it is and its just the really retarted picky people who want them, us who are still into muscle cars and not luxury/muscle cars can handle having to put our key in the column and twist to start the engine...i know its a stretch, i know, but trust me, it does in fact work...

LOL...*end rant*
First of all the 396 SS had (a supposed) 375 HP. It has been posted numerous times that the DZ302 was underated, however even with the crossram and headers it was no more than 350 -360 HP (remember all HP ratings were gross back then). The under rating was due to insurance premiums not racing. The 450+ HP ratings were the race cars in the Trans Am series. Don't believe me look it up.
I am a BIG 69' Z/28 fan, but I'm tired of the myths that continue.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote