View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
jpetro
JPetro

Drives: 02 Sunfire
Having a SC done locally may sound like a good idea and I can just about guarantee it will be cheaper, But, what good is cheaper and having a shop close to do the work when you have to take it every couple of weeks, or more, to get re-tuned. A good tune job should last and there should be no reason to be going back for constant fixes. How much will you save if your car has to be tied up for two days while the guy tries to figure out what is wrong, especially if its your D&D. How much gas and excessive wear on your engine are you willing to put up with.
I have 3 places in mind where I am going to have the work done. The closet one is about 2.5 hours away I am getting a charger, exhaust and suspension work that will run me between 12 and $13,000, you might be only getting a charger done but the point is the same its a lot of money to give to the local and maybe very nice guy who said that he can do it for less and knows a buddy where he can get the dyno done. Take the time and just look at his place and decide if its a performance shop or a garage. Its more than if he'll get your seats dirty its how serious he takes his business. A good shop will not only be clean it will also be well equipped. There should be no reason to take your car anywhere else to have anything done including the tune and/or dyno. He should be willing, proud, to show you the different awards and trophies customers have give him for the great job he has done on their cars. Does you charger need to be installed by a certified tech in order to get the warranty. Speaking of warranty the minute he turns a nut to put on that charger he is voiding your GM warranty, so will he be willing to guarantee his work and any damage that might occur if something goes wrong. Remember if something should go wrong your not only talking about the charger you maybe face with a totally shot engine or computer. There is also the risk that it might brake down while you are driving it which may be a safety hazard.
I definitely agree its the tune that is by far the most important thing. Just about anybody can follow directions and put it together, its the art of the tune that will in the end putting that smile on your face. And yes it is an art that only comes from studying, training and experience, and that is what you are paying for. I buy a product based on research, and I am sure you did the same, so why not hire the person to do the work the same way.

Soon to oun a 2SS/RS Silver Ice with a chrome snail thing under hood, Pedders Sport, Hawk pads, ARH exhust system. Spring project: Pedders Coil overs and Brake package tba
jpetro is offline   Reply With Quote