View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
thesubfloor

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995z28 View Post
so if im understanding this correctly, limp mode also consists of a reduced limited speed? because what is happening with me is I have almost no acceleration until i get into a speed that would fit the "3rd gear" that its supposedly in. Also when I get into speeds of say 70+mph the rpms are not obviously going down, they keep going up as i gain speed. ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME, IT WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED!!
A simple gear ratio change will not cause the 6L80E TCM (Transmission Control Module) to go into limp mode, but an intermittent internal problem will.

The reason for limp mode is that a problem was detected and in order to prevent any potential/additional damage the transmission is usually limited to one gear for the purpose of getting the car safely off the road. If you have a scantool (I use HP Tuners) that can read and clear the codes, I would suggest finding out what they are first and then clearing them. If it's a serious problem then it may go into limp mode again almost immediately, but my guess is that you'll probably be fine for a while and able to drive the car again.

Whenever a code gets set in the TCM they'll always come in pairs - a P0700 which is a general code indicating a malfunction and a more specific one so be sure to record them both.

Hope that helps,
Christopher
thesubfloor is offline   Reply With Quote