View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 01:29 PM   #2136
Uncle_Diesel

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityCoug View Post
Here's where I think the problem lies though: the key is 90 degrees from how a typical car key goes in. On your average car key, the flat plane of the key and flat plane of the handle/grip/whatever are parallel. With a switchblade design, the key essentially has to be rotated by 90 degrees to fit. Now regardless of design, the flat plane of the key is inserted at the same angle regardless of vehicle (looking at the ones in my driveway), and this angle is essentially parallel to the ground. This means that the key on the Camaro is pointed with the wide part facing the driver. Again on your average vehicle, this would be facing up. When it is the turned 90 degrees to start the car, the flat part is down and gives a big surface to hit, while a typical key is straight up and down.

So by my understanding, it seems like they could have fixed this by just turning the ignition itself. I don't know if this is possible but it seems like it could happen.
The day I got my car, I mentioned the stupidly bad angle of the key to the salesman. I've compared our "fob-o'-death" vs my dad's "safe" switchblade and the keys are identical (except his has the Buick badge instead of the Chevy).

The ONLY difference is the angle the key goes in at, when they first announced it I made the same comment, just rotate the lock cylinder 45* and no more problems but apparently, they decided to go even cheaper :(
Uncle_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote