View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Beyond Limits
Pushin a rock...

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
As you know there are a ton of gloom and doom articles talking of the death of the camaro...over the current energy situation

And it sickens me that this can all be rectified quite easily...by drilling and raising the supply of oil...

If you have any pull at gm...you guys need to make a pr statement perhaps start commercials that basically

PRESSURE CONGRESS TO DILL FOR OIL DOMESTICALLY
Hold up here for a second. There really is a bigger issue that seems to be missed. Oil is a limited commodity. We know that. We also know that there are oil reserves waiting to be tapped, and I agree it is silly not to drill for them. However this is not like the oil crisis back in the 80’s where simply adding to supply will address the problem at hand. There is a whole new issue here that was not around back then, and in all honesty it is a far bigger issue than just drilling up in Alaska. You have two very large countries that are now really starting to head into their industrial revolution in the same way we did back in the 60’s. India and China. You have two very large population bases that are now starting to have the monetary base to be able to afford things like modern convinces, electric appliances (remember power plants need crude as well), increased consumer demands (anything plastic or synthetic is made in some form or another from refined crude oil. Tata is going to manufacturer a vehicle for $2,500 which puts it well within the means of millions of people in India, and everyone of those cars needs gasoline. So the bigger problem here is that demand has increased with supply and it will continue to increase with supply meaning that additional drilling will not bring the long term relief that everyone wants to believe it will. In fact if anything it will be necessary in the near future to keep prices stable at the elevated levels they are (and yes, I know traders at the NY board of trade where they trade crude oil, and yes speculators have inflated the price of a barrel of oil somewhere between $20 to $30 a barrel).

The real solution is going to be making the most out of what we have. The technology is already in place. Look at the DI V-6. 300HP and 25+MPG is just amazing. The LS3… 400+HP and 27MPG on the freeway (at least that is what my boss is getting in his C6). And this is a start. The next generation of these motors are only going to get better.

Chevydude… I am sorry if I sound like I am lecturing here, I really am not. I just want to share some of the macroeconomic issues here, and unfortunately I really don’t know of a better way to say it. What we have here really is a bigger problem than drilling alone can solve, although it will be a good start.
Beyond Limits is offline   Reply With Quote