View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 05:46 AM   #9155
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
I'm around 182/183 at the half so far, 193mph at 1km. Although being on an airfield, my 1/4's are very poor, but usually in the 145mph range

It would have went faster this year, except the clutch started slipping and with hindsight the other aspect that hurt me was I just used road tyres this year as they seemed to be gripping better than the MT DR's. But they are also smaller diameter which hurt my gearing. I only realised this after the event looking at logs, had completely forgot about that aspect at the time ! lol

I've bigger tyres to use next year that'll keep them closer to the 26" MT's, trying larger turbine housings and a slightly bigger camshaft so it should pull the rpm's better. Although I'm still only aiming for around 7-7300, nothing like the rpm's you spin. If I can make mine pull harder up there again it should offer me a huge improvement.

I still havent figured out best approach to gaining speed over distance. I know on the road my car will accelerate faster from say 80-140 just using 4th...than it does going through 3, 4. Some of that is traction related, some maybe lost in a gearchange etc.
But it does beg the question, and it isnt something I've tested....to achieve a higher ET over distance, might I be better getting into a higher gear sooner and let the torque to the work, or take the conventional approach and just go flat out through all gears ? ( 5th takes me to 200+ ok )

Obviously for this sort of stuff, we arent concerned so much about elapsed time, so I think things are a little different, it just isnt something I've experimented much with.

Slight change of topic....I enjoyed this video of a recent 1km event in Aussie land, they seem to race for elapsed time and trap speed. Some cool machines there

stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote