View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
While it protects the finish, everytime you do it, just a little tiny bit of it gets buffed off. My dad has an old Miata (no clear coat from the factory), and every time it gets waxed, the cloth used turns red. No big deal if you wax only once a year, but if you did it every week, eventually......
Sticking to the thread. Modern Camaro's don't have single stage paint jobs, and clear coat is much different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Addng to what the previous post said, many waxes are cleaner waxes and the way they do that is to remove a little material every time you wax with it, basically what a polish also does. when you wax every week with one of those then you are going to finally go through the clear coat into the color coat, and when you start seeing color on your rag you have gradually destroyed your paint job.. that is why i said always use a non abrasive wax...
The pictures you post are of a custom paint job, I bet it is much thicker than a factory paint job like on our cars. it can withstand many more waxings and polishings than a factory paint job can...
Who told you that? There is no true WAX on the market that will remove any amount of clear coat. If your waxing weekly there is something wrong with your wax.

Polish (and maybe a few cleaner waxes) does remove trace amounts of clear coat.. If its done properly most paint jobs can withstand 20+ full blown polishings. And if your polishing weekly there is something wrong with your washing method, because you should never have to polish more than once every year.