View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
B2k4E
Listen to cereal guy...

Drives: 1986 Z28 Camaro 383 TPI
Exclamation Possible IAC (Idle air control) Valve problem

Some of you might have seen my rear end help thread, but now I've run into a new problem... Every time I go into any gear that puts power to the ground (OD, D, 1, 2, R) the camaro seems to propel itself without me even touching the accelerator. Usually hovers around 10-15mph by itself and I have to intervene by using the brakes by which no doubt is wearing the brakes down and causing stress on the engine. The engine in my 86 camaro is a 350 TPI.

My father says it's the IAC valve but I'm wondering if anybody has had a problem like this?

If it is the IAC valve; where is it and how do you go about uninstalling then reinstalling it, and reseting it to the correct idle speed?

Also noticed that the tachometer runs about 2300 RPM when in park and 1300-1600 RPM when in drive pressing on the brakes. The tach might be off but I doubt it.

Any help/advice would be appreciated, so close to getting this thing drivable. Got a fan harness and relay to fix the fan issue and a new pinon seal for the rear end on the way. (After some inspection it looks like the original seal is done for)
B2k4E is offline   Reply With Quote