View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #42
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparaz View Post
There was an example in OP about racing voiding the warranty. Is that to say that if someone tested their max speed on a closed track once or twice that they would void a warranty as well? I read the part about sustained over limit speeds, but if so that would seem ridiculous to me.
The ONLY time I have ever heard of this happening with a GM car was many years ago a guy showed up at the dealer with a busted tranny in his WS6 trans am. The dealer looked underneath and found enough rubber in the wheelwells to peel it out and make new tires. They denied it and the guy posted the receipt from the dealer online and complained... he got no support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf1087 View Post
Can GM dealers reprogram the chip to allow free range shifting? The 1-4th shift thing is killing me when i'm only going up to 25-30mph and staying there. I found that accelerating harder makes it not come up but I'd rather get rid of it. Would this cause warranty issues as well?
No they will NEVER reprogram the computer to bypass any original controls or anything else. This is easily remedied by a skip shift eliminator sold by any number of forum vendors, it plugs in and is easily removable for warranty work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black 2ss/rs View Post
right from chevys website

What Is Not Covered All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium-duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details, refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

An Important Note about Alterations and Warranties Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

To summarize, missuse and alterations voids the warranty. Also; non GM calibrations voids the warranty. GM aftermarket parts installed by an authorized dealer voids GM's warranty related to whatever they install. Missuse is a broad term but may include using your launch TCS feature, racing, no lift shifts, anything really. So if you add/replace anything that would increase preformance 99% the dealership will take note and deny your claim.
Using launch control or any factory included features will not void your warranty. As well unless you give them a reason (You come in with rubber in your wheelwells, numbers on the side of the car, a rollbar installed with a logbook in the glovebox, etc) they would never know you were racing.

In the end look at this from their side. If you sold a product and someone modified it and it broke DUE TO that modification would YOU be willing to fix it free for them? I know I would tell them to go pound sand as I made the product to work one way and they decided to use it another. It doesn't mean if you change the intake your exhaust warranty is gone, but if you change the intake and the IAT sensor goes, the intake has a direct effect, sorry.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin