Thread: Opti-Coat
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I looked at it, but this concerned me:

From the link above:
Quote:
Can I buy Opti-Coat and apply it myself?

No. Opti-Coat is available only to selected professionals. Application requires an experienced technician to avoid extensive damage to the factory paintwork.
Damage????? But this just wipes on....

I read application instructions on Autogeek.net and at the bottom of those instructions, before you order its requires this:

Quote:
Due to the unique formulation of this product, we ask that you acknowledge that you have read and understand the application and purpose of Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 before purchasing it.
Why??????? How many people have screwed up the application?? Oh, wait. It's for selected professionals only.

The product goes on and cures and adds 2 microns of protection over your clear coat. While applying you have to identify streaks and thick spots of product and level that. Not to mention completely correcting your paint before you apply it. Also, while it's curing, it will be "tacky". To me that means if you don't have a paint booth or dust free environment you risk dust, debris or other contaminants embedding itself to the surface while it's "tacky".

I have no doubt that this is a quality product. Optimum has a fine line of care care products. It's not for me though.

That's my .02