Thread: ZL1 LOOKS!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
It might be just me, but this car looks like a regular camaro with black side skirts and a different hood. I know the car has much more power than the regular SS, but why wouldn't someone with an SS just get the maggie for $6500 installed and have a sleeper. Just my 2 cents!!!
You know - you're not the only one who's made a comment like that. I, honestly, can't say I blame you too much. I think that's the beauty of it.

I think CAMARO is very had to improve on. I know the one view I don't like too much is a view of the rear, straight on. There's something about the profile that I never liked a whole lot (I think it was the relationship of the tires to the outside of the quarter panels). However, a little revision in the diffuser, the exhaust tips, and even wider rear tires (by 30mm) took care of that for me. Anyways, I like that the changes are subtle. I don't need for my car to shout to look at me!!! I'm speeding!!! Or, follow me around waiting for me to make a mistake! LOL. In addition, all of the changes to the exterior are actually functional. The front facia and splitter actually direct air flow. The hood actually extracts air and aids in downforce. There are litte front fender and rear facia deflectors that move air around the wheel openings. The rocker moldings actually help move air around the car. The rear spoiler and lower diffuser actually round-out the entire aero' package to add downforce and force ZL1 into the pavement to stick even better. I'm not aware of another package more thorough and deliberate at function in this segment.

If someone wants to take SS and add a Maggy, then why the Heck not?! You've not just created ZL1, and though I believe you've just created a car that might out-accelerate ZL1, but that's about it. You're still missing the rest of what ZL1 is all about. You will have to spend a LOT more money to get to ZL1's all-around performance, but after you did spend that money, your SS would out-perform ZL1, too. There are many cars here who've done just that.

I don't exactly know what I was hoping for from ZL1 (well - Z28 at the time). I wanted something that was a little different than SS, but not something too much, looks-wise. I think GM has done a great job with what we know of ZL1 and I can't wait to hear exactly what ZL1 will have, what it will look like, and what it will do when GM finally releases it into the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Go back and read some of the previous threads for more information than I can give you. But, 33% of the car was changed along with the front facia, hood and spoiler.
EXACTLY! Mr. Al Opp. has said it is fully 33% changed from a 1SS. Chassis, powertrain, interior enhancements (above that which all '12s are benefitting), and exterior. There are many threads regarding official information from GM that I'd also encourage you to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
True, I understand the suspension parts! I talking about just looks, all in all it's just another SS camaro with power and little bit different front and ugly hood.
If that's all you choose to see, then there's nothing anyone can tell you to change your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebot8484 View Post
Don't get me wrong an SS with a maggie can be a sleeper, but it will take more then a S/C to get an SS to a ZL1 level.
It's funny not we're characterizing SS with an SC a sleeper, LOL!!! A 5th Gen has never snuck up on me, lol. I've always seen it a long ways away

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote