Thread: ZL1 LOOKS!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSS View Post
It might be just me, but this car looks like a regular camaro with black side skirts and a different hood. I know the car has much more power than the regular SS, but why wouldn't someone with an SS just get the maggie for $6500 installed and have a sleeper. Just my 2 cents!!!
If I have my story straight, what set the '69 ZL1 apart from the SS was the engine, not the "looks" of the car.

Although others have articulated the differences between the 2012 SS and the 2012 ZL1 better than I ever could, it still boils down to personal choice.

Earlier this year I could have bought a new SS for ~37K, sent it to Lingenfelter to have the engine replaced with a modded LS9 putting out 775 hp at the crank for an additional 38K, so my total cash outlay would have been ~75K give or take a couple of grand. In the end I would still have an SS with a 427 engine in it (which aint bad by the way), but then there would be other issues to deal with (stock rear end, stock trans, traction issues, brakes, wheel upgrades, just to name a few).

Instead I chose to wait on the ZL1 with the LSA powerplant, which by the way is much more suited to adding additional hp than the LS3 per the builder/tuners I have talked to. So I pay ~ 50k for the car, send it to Lingenfelter so they can put the 700+ hp package in it for ~11K, plus I have the supercharger replaced with the TVS-2300 (~ 8K) or the ZR-1 supercharger (~5K) and guess what, I am at 775 HP and my total cash outlay is ~66-70K. And in the end . . . . I have a ZL1 BABY !!

Last edited by BiggFoot; 08-15-2011 at 04:08 PM.
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote