View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
I have a friend with an '05 GT and he was tellin me it was a pain to modify because you need a dyno tune for nearly every mod you make to get the most out of it. Where you could get away with a cam swap and full exhaust in a 4th gen F-body(not suggested but you could still drive it without it running like total crap and get decent performance), You would need to get tuned for say... a cold air intake and a cat-back. I don't know how true this really is but this guy was pretty adamant about it.

For the most part he is telling the truth, but it isn't as bad as it might sound since plenty of tuners offer updated tunes without having to get on a dyno and custom tune the car. You just need to have a programming tool, load the tune into the programmer from free downloadable computer software, and load into your car....easy peasy. Of course a custom dyno tune will squeeze out that last bit of potential, but you can do well without.

A tune is necessary for a CAI on a new Mustang, because a CAI actually improves the airflow on that engine so much it screws with the air fuel ratios significantly and the ECU has to be corrected. A CAI/tune combo on a new Mustang will give the new mustang about 20-25 rwhp and 25-30 torque and significantly reduce throttle lag from the stock drive-by-wire programming.

The only exhaust modification that might really need a tune are long tube headers or off-road catless mid-pipes, but it isn't really necessary. The biggest thing a tune would do is make adjustments so that the O2 sensors don't get messed up readings which may or may not happen anyway.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote