View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
pot stirring time... what about the new Honda that is estimating 300+mpg based on the same technology the volt uses?
If I remember correctly, that vehicle is not a Volt-style car...it has a limited range due to charge; it's more akin to the original EV1...I may be wrong, however.

On a side note, with Honda's failure of an Insight...I don't expect anything spectacular out of them in this dept. Plus, I believe their car is substantially smaller than the Volt...I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Electric cars were around before GM even existed
True -- but they were the first to bring it to mass production and available for everyone in a contemporary application.

I don't defend them for scrapping it...if they hadn't, the Prius would have never taken root, and Toyota wouldn't be where they are today. What can I say other than hindsight is 20/20. The Volt is lightyears ahead of both of them (as it's not a hybrid), and only time will tell if they can recapture what they left behind with the suspension of the EV1 program. BUT -- there were reasons for scrapping the car that made sense, and were not covered in that excuse for a documentary...and that's the only reason I posted.