View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpl11972 View Post
The car has been tracked 3 times already. It has 3300 miles on it. Same brake fluid. Need to change before Pocono at end of Aug. Do I just put in a cheep dot4 from pep boys or auto zone or get the more pricey fluid online like Motul RBF600 or ATE . . . Gold. I dont have a problem changing out fluid. If I use the Motul how may bottles shouldbi buy. They are 1/2 liter. Was also looking at Amsoil dot4.
Either of those. The ATE blue apparently can stain plastics (and is technically illegal for highway use in Florida because of its color).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
DO NOT use Dot 5.1. I believe that has Silicone in it. Then you'll have to replace every rubber component in your brake system with new parts! Just get some Motul 600RBF. It is full synthetic DOT 4 and has very high boiling points both wet and dry.
Just to clarify, DOT 5.1 is not a silicone fluid.

DOT 5 (without the '.1') is, and it's that stuff that you don't want near a track car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpl11972 View Post
Thanks for all your help. I think im going with Motul RFB600. Now to find a online site
Don't know about the Motul, but Sam Strano's business (stranoparts.com) carries the ATE amber and also a Brembo fluid that exceeds DOT 4. He's in western PA and stuff I've ordered from him gets to NJ pretty quickly.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote