View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #28
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I am a GM guy. I have to admit I really want the Camaro to win. Having said that, I have done everything I can to make both cars as good as I can make them. We know from testing that the cars are almost identical in performance. Our driver is a race car driver and an engineer. He is also a GM fan boy just like the rest of us. That said, he will drive the wheels off both cars and hold nothing back. He can't as we know both cars are withing 2/100ths of a second the last times out.

We have tweaked the Mustang sway bar ratio a hair. We have tweaked the Mustang alignment a hair. It should be a bit faster.

We have replaced the intercooler on the Camaro and re-tuned for better mid range power. The new intercooler will or should eliminate loss of power in the straights due to high IATs. Aside from confirming the Camaro alignment to be spot on it is not changed.

BOTH cars had brake pad issues the last time out. The Mustang probably a bit more so than the Camaro. Both cars have new rotors all around. Both cars will be running custom made Cobalt friction pads. Both cars will have better braking and should both be faster because of it.

After all of this, I honestly do NOT know which car will be fastest. Both will be faster than the last session and at that session both screamed around the track. It will be a very interesting day at the track.

Then there is the people part of this. I have become very good friends with Micheal Timarac and Jess Albright at Saleen. I'll be at Michael's wedding in September. Bob Kern is my good freind at GM along with the Mikes at the Proving Grounds Costello and Copeland. I have good relationships with people like Dr. Jamie, Cliff Cohen, Derek Zalewski and many more over at GM. When I think of all them I want the cars to end in a dead heat as I don't want to disappoint any of them.

All I can do is triple check each car. Then check them again and make certain they are ready to go for my driver. I'll give him the same instructions I give all my drivers. Don't scratch my car. You are sitting in a car that is faster than many race cars. It has NONE of the safety features found in a race car. If you don't scratch my car you will come back exactly the same way you were when you sat in the car. So don't scratch my car and don't leave anything on the track. Push it as hard as you can without scratching it.

As soon as he is out of sight I say a prayer for his safety. This is my biggest fear. They are all professionals. They all know the risks. None of that matters. I don't want my drivers hurt. I wrote this because there are so many very very fast Camaros owned by members of this forum. They have two ton race cars with street brakes and most are without cages, racing seats, harnesses, HANS devices.... Everyone please be careful out there.

Now I can honestly say I don't care which car is faster. My priorities are in order. It doesn't matter as long as my driver remians safe.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote