View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
I've done the hard break in, and at 450 miles now it's really starting to come alive- it's amazing how much different it is now than when I picked it up. I'll change the oil next week at the 500 some odd mile mark.

I think break in is subjective- yes, the manual says drive it easy the first 1500 miles, but if you read through that manual you find a lot of things that are just written by lawyers.

Besides, I've done it like this on all mine, and never got less than 150,000 miles out of them without ever using any oil (at which point they were sold). My current 05 Colorado has 194,000 on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes, and all I've ever done is change plugs every 80k miles.

I don't think either method is bad, it's what one is comfortable with. My opinion, the key to longevity is keeping the oil changed on a regular basis and not beating the hell out of it all the time....just on "special occasions".