View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
It's gonna be a HP bump too but Chevy is under-rating it. Open element K&N intake, tri-y shorty manifolds and electric power steering. From my '12-'13 Camaro LS3 cars the electric power steering variable showed up as 20 HP on a dyno. All my power mods were swapped at trade-in and 2nd dyno was in warmer weather. Chevrolet is down playing it by rating it at only 11 more TQ.
There is no way that a modern power steering pump is 20 hp. Not at all. Especially when you aren't actually turning the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Better flowing exhaust is probably the biggest change.
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
interesting, so is compression ratio the same? Remember they said at least 505bhp, I think its closer to 550bhp but I'm still surprised it couldn't go past 161mph it seemed to be stuck there on the straight.
I believe they said 'at least 500 hp', maybe they used 505. Even if they did say 'at least 505' then when it actually does make 505, well they're still ok ... because 'at least' means 'equal to or greater than'

The Z/28 is SAE certified at 505 hp & 481 ft-lbs. You can't under-rate an engine by 10% and maintain SAE certification on it. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) probably wouldn't take too kindly to that. Additionally, the Z/28 hits its power and torque peak at different RPMs than the Z06 does. That doesn't happen if you're just giving placeholder numbers.

As for the 161 mph ... let me put it this way: would you be willing to take a prototype car past 161 mph on one of the worlds deadliest tracks, in the rain?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote