View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #204
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
This... I would 100% agree with you on the multiple handling issues but I would have to disagree with the "absolutely amazing piece of engineering" part. It handles as it was originally intended, it handles like a sedan... The IRS is just a variation of regular independent rear suspension. The IRS was borrowed from the Pontiac G8 with some modifications to the links such as the enlarged "L" link. I understand that this was GM's first attempt at IRS under the Camaro but it was not a brand new system. The teams in Conti had handling issues last month at Barber where the Rolex teams did not. The reason being is that the factory suspension can be modified in the GT class and the GS class must maintain the factory setup. I am interested in where the GT class Camaro's changed the mounting points that allows the Camaro to come to life.
With respect...I never speak in terms of racing teams...because I don't care what they're doing or how the parts translate. I'm interested in factory equipment and how things perform on the street.

As far as amazing engineering...I'll have to defer to my friends in the suspension aftermarket. Not being a suspension engineer myself - I can't qualify my statements, but I have heard nothing but compliments for the 4.5 link system Holden developed in the Zeta platform. And these from people I trust. So...forgive me if a smirk a little when I hear it downplayed as nothing more than a 'regular sedan's IRS'.....

However, I still believe that the FE4 is a quick and inexpensive fix to the oddly behaving IRS system in the Camaro now. I’m not completely sure but, I hadn’t heard that the ZL1 will be upgraded directly. I can only assume that the FE4 suspension work will automatically find its way to the ZL1. During the ZL1 development, handling was probably an issue and now those needed upgrades will be available to the masses via the FE4 package. This will be active research and development and we will actually get to see the Camaro evolve into a potentially fantastic handling vehicle... and maybe eventually the Z28...
Agreed. FE4 is a calibration designation. Expect the '12 SS to be stiffer, more agile, and dialed in. Complete overhaul expectations can have a seat in the next room...

The ZL1 press release cited a repositioning of the sway end links as well as other "patent-pending" alterations to the drivertrain/suspension. The ZL1 is a very, very special Camaro.

Edit: Expect the FE4 package to be the opposite of lightweight. Part of me really wants to see the Corvettes Transverse leaf spring suspension under the future Z28. That system is as lightweight as you can get and the Corvettes IRS is also as light as they come (with the exception of newer IRS systems)... What would the cost figure be to adapted a current version of the Corvettes TLS and IRS into a 5th Gen? How difficult would it be to retro fit the TLS/IRS into a 5th Gen Camaro? I know for a fact that the benefits would be there just not sure the cost and difficulty would be reasonable. GM has enough time to make a significant change to the 5th Gen, I am hoping that this chassis last until the 50th anniversary.
Well...the composite transverse leaf system in the Corvette is more expensive than even a set of true coil overs...and the architecture must be designed specifically for that application...so the short answer would be "don't count on it"...