View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #4
john98ssfbody

Drives: 2002 White SS Camaro
HPT is probably easier to use if you are a casual user or for the owner using it on his or hers personal car. Its interface is easy to navigate through and is fairly intuitive. EFI Live is considerably more complex to use and navigate around especially for the beginner and casual user. As far as shop tools, EFI Live has the better deal than HPT. I say this because I can buy a ECU stream license and tune unlimited amounts of cars that the particular ECU is used in. For instance you purchase a E38 stream you can tune, Corvettes, Camaros, most trucks and SUVs and a myriad of other GM cars that use the E38. If you were to purchase make/model/year licenses for all that the E38 PCMs are used in with the HPT software the licenses would cost you a small fortune.

With EFI Live, you have the ability to use the virtual VE maps, and also tune in speed density with 2.5 bar and 3 bar maps, which are already in the PCM from GM! It is just that HPT wants to charge you for accessing something that is already built into the PCM from GM! It is just their way to make more $$$, none of these software packages are cheap, all can easily tune your car especially if the mods are relatively minor for the causual user, and they can all tune your car for even the most extreme mods which will take a more experience tuner to manipulate the tables to get the most out of your baby.

I don't know why HPT doesn't offer a free download so that prospective buyers can play with the program. The program is basically useless without its cable and the "keys" that allows one to save any file changes. I think it would make it easier for the average Joe to make a better educated decision on which software package to purchase.
john98ssfbody is offline   Reply With Quote