View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 05:45 AM   #12
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Something similar happened to my stock 2012 2SS this weekend, except it was my main instrument cluster... I put the bigger wheels/tires with new tpms sensors on it last week, and tried to re-learn the TPMS using the pre-2011 way just to see if it would work ('let the air out of the tires' way)...predictably, it didnt.

Sooo, I started it up, and took it to the tire shop to re-learn the TPMS sensors... while it was there, the tech tried to get the DIC to go into relearn mode, and CEL lit up, "Service Tire Monitor System", "Service Park Assist" and "Service Stabilitrak" errors came up, and the entire main instrument cluster stopped displaying data: dash lights worked, but tach and speedo needles wouldnt move, HUD lit up but displayed 0 mph, DIC wouldnt display, and the car died. I got it re-started, told the tech I would be back in a bit, and drove it home without any speedo or tach. Seems like I remember the console gages working, so I figured the problem couldnt be too bad.

Once I got home, it got worse: I parked it in the driveway, it died on me, and would not start up and stay running. Needless to say I freaked out. Car is stock except for CAI and exhaust (no drivetrain mods/tune). I was not looking forward to having it towed to the dealer for this.

I looked on this forum for any info on this issue, but found nothing, so I used the tried and true method I use on my BMW when it goes whack-o: battery nap. I remove the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes, reconnected it, and it fixed everything. Car started right up, all DIC errors gone and everything works now (well, except for the DIC message to re-set the TPMS system is still there).

I assume this problem might have something to do with my trying to re-set the TPMS using the old method, and not completing the re-learn cycle. I remember the car threw the "Park Assist" and "Stabilitrak" code when I re-started the car at the tire shop to put it in the bay for the tech to work on it...the dash problem started when he tried to put it in relearn mode (I think).

Looks like my battery nap had the same effect as you pulling the fuse on yours... Lesson learned.
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote