Thread: z28 question?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17357 View Post
Perhaps the question could be, "What do you think it needs to weigh to deliver the performance of the past in today's world?"
If that is the question, would the target not be about 3,500 pounds?

Jim
Just curious, what do you think about the past would even come close to today's SS?

Todays SS makes 426 HP SAE Net. This is, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, approaching 500 HP gross as reported back in the 60s (which what I think you are saying). The IRS, the Brembo brakes, 6 speed transmissions are all things in the today's world that even a COPO couldn't touch. And that doesn't even come close the weakest link in the old cars..........tires.

This is a great discussion, it's like comparing athletes from different eras as to who is better, but the only thing I see in the older cars is a bit lower mass and that is made up for with the structure and safety hardware required in the modern era.

Seriously, I would like to hear what in old cars a modern Z28 would need to do/be.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the old cars. They just don't hold a candle to todays car other than the mystique that's great to talk about.