View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Junkman, I really do enjoy your videos! You are a natural in front of the camera. I think you did a good job addressing some myths and breaking things down, your DI voice gave my nightmares of yellow footprints and a long bus ride, and I appreciate your delivery. I do believe that in your dispelling and explanations of certain myths you have contributed so more. I apologize in advance, because I did not watch the entire video, but rather skipped around due to time constraints, so if I am missing something that is why.

"Waxes do not add shine to perfectly polished paint because it is already level and has maximum shine"

I agree that level surfaces will reflect light more evenly. Also a waxed surface, if if the wax is working correctly, will level as it cures, so it does create a level surface that reflects light more evenly. (much like the water of the oceans makes the uneven ocean flood even at the surface).

However, you cannot really polish paint to perfection. Under a microscope there will be evidence of polishing as abrasives (which, in order to work, are harder than paint) are being rubbed across the surface.

Adding a wax on top of this surface, will by factor of making the surface more level and add gloss.

Also, the ingredients in a wax or sealant will act to bend light differently. This slight bending of light (think Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon prism) will alter the way light reflects, changing the shine.

"If you own a gloss meter... work for a wax manufacturer"

I have seen the results, working directly with wax manufacturer, on a gloss meter and have witnessed the increased shine.

"Waxes cannot be for specific paint colors"

I know some companies dye their wax with specific colors in order to aid the filling of paint defects and scratches.

However, because waxes and sealants bend light, some create a deeper reflection (depth of shine) where as others maybe create a brighter appearing shine. Many people prefer the look (of say Pinnacle Souveran) on a dark colored cars because of the way that wax bends light. Can it work on white? Of course, but increasing depth of shine on white may not create the high-gloss finish that many white owners want.

"Make an HD video"

Videos cannot capture the nuances of a wax or sealant. Video's capture objects in 2D and require us, using referenences, to translate the image into a 3D environment.

The best bet in this case would be to use your eyes, which in the real world, capture things in 3D, and will be much more likely to notice and appreciate the different types of shine that a wax or sealant can produce. On video, just like in pictures, perceptions are greatly limited. 1000s and 1000s of people use their own eyes and have reached a different conclusion than yours. There is no right or wrong answer.

I am very much of the opinion that we all see things differently (I cannot taste the difference in white wines and don't like most sea-food) and I know several extremely well respected detailers who cannot see much of a difference in wax. I know people who cannot see difference shades of orange. I have learned that just because I cannot see something doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means that I cannot see it.

Great video.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote