View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
I think that is an excellent article, and I have throughout my life supported American made autos (with the exception of my wife's Civic, but that was her car, so I let her make the decision)

I have said this before, and will say it again. The American automanufacturers enjoyed a time when there was very little competition and throughout that time they developed the reputation of building unreliable, gas guzzling cars. I think that GM has gone to great ends to try and change this stereotype (I can't speak for Ford or Chrystler as I know little about them). However, the stereotype remains. It really is amazing how strong stereotypes are in people's minds. I mean, look at Toyota. Last year they had how many autos recalled?!?! That is just unacceptable by any standard.

IMO it is going to take a lot more than just GM stepping up and backing their products to finally start to change people's perceptions about American cars. I also think forming some kind of a marketing joint ventue between the Big 3 to launch a new campaign "re-educating" the general public about American cars.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote