Thread: Z28 or ZL1
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Radz, like you and few others I was a little disappointed that they did not name the new car Z28, but like Dragoneye I have gotten over it and can live with the name ZL1 very easily. At least they did not name it HPE! I truly believe that the Z28 will be built but my best guess is that they will wait for the new chassis. I think the ZL1 will be built until the new Alpha chassis Camaro is released and then it will be dropped in favor of the 5.5 DI Z28. Now, considering that I have been wrong the majority of the time with my guesses on this forum, you might be wise not to put a lot of weight on what I say. But on the other hand I am bound to be right at least once in my life, it just might not be this time.
Yeah - I'm over it, like you guys; I'm very much in support of ZL1 now. It makes a lot more sense after the intial shock shakes off. Though I never thought they'd give it that awful name, you just never know; ZL1 is a perfect example, for me; I never took it that seriously. I was right on LSA, the brakes, MR, and some other goodies, but am so pleased I can't even express with the additional stuff. I couldn't be more pleased unless we learn the price is just right.

You may be right on the new chassis though. Because I believe (only through internet conjecture) the 6th Gen will come around 2015, I just don't think it's good for GM to wait that long. I don't think they'll run 5th and 6th Gen models side-by-side, so I'm thinking we'll see it sooner. I think it'd be super-easy to adjust the shocks, springs and swaybars on ZL1 for a lighter Gen IV 6.2, add some power (a bit bigger cam, EPS, tubular manifolds, dual-mode exhaust, etc.), lose some content (thinner glass, less sound deadening, no back seat, optional lighter Recaros, etc.) to lower the mass, and run a different aero' package (Leno features) and SSX wheels, and we have a WINNER. Obviously, validation and all that good stuff takes time, but the Boss has been introduced for a while, so I don't think it'd take long to shift from ZL1 completion (probably through the summer into fall) and get into Z28 the second quarter of 2012. I don't think it's a good idea to wait for a couple more years, but I'm not sure it could happen that fast.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote