View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Something to reinforce what blur says.

For most positions that I hire people for, A college degree is worth anywhere from 7 - 11 years of work experience. So, that means if the position requires 12 years of experience. Someone with a degree can get it with as little as 1 - 4 yrs of actual work, depending on the level of the position.

Most of the people we hire are prior military so that military time helps. But when someone has a degree we don't have to have as much justification.

Bottom line, this means, Someone who retires from the military at 20 years makes only a little more than a 22 year old with a degree. Now, the 20 year Vet will probably get promoted faster because he's a more mature worker in most cases. But the degree offsets quite a bit.

Some Examples: I hired a 20 vet with no degree and 24 years work experience, and paid him over 40K. I hired a non Vet with no degree with 15 years total work experience and paid him 25K. We hired a 9 year vet with 12 years experience and a BS degree and paid him 55K to start.

Something to keep in mind. We actually want to pay people as much as they can qualify for. The more money we pay someone the more money we can make. So we are not in the habit of lowering salaries. We try and qualify people for the highest labor category possible...

One quirk, for entry level positions we really like degrees. But for more senior positions, Work experience is more valuable. Now if we can get both then even better.

And for those of you enlisted in the military, I speak from experience. Pay into the GI Bill and get your degree's ASAP, on active duty if you can. It will pay off. I promise.

And Congratulations Blur, I'm sure this is the first of many promotions. Best of luck.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote