View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #43
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
What tuning issue are you referring to?

As for locking up the converter under WOT, it really isn't a good idea because what you've got in there is a clutch disk with only a fraction of the surface material of a manual trans clutch AND it's immersed in very slippery transmission fluid.

If the converter is efficient enough there really is no need to lock it up under WOT as I've been running killer times in my Corvette for the last three years with a Yank SS3600.
The Camaro 6L80E is not set up to run an aftermarket converter. The clutch packs used are not designed to slip like stock therefore they burn up. The code in the tranny demands slip at various areas and applies a regulated (not full) line pressure to achieve a desired slip rate. There is allot of tuning involved in getting the thing streetable. As for WOT lockup, some converters are designed just for this. The stock is designed for it as well as Circle D, Pro Torque, and a few others. The clutch capacity in a performance converter far exceeds that of a stocker. It is merely a product of how much psi do I need to lock up. The converter is just like the clutches in the tranny, they will always have some slip during engagement but hold all day if they are built/tuned correctly.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote