View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #93
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by '11 cyber grey vert View Post
Yes they are a business...my point is... they may be a playoff team but don't expect them to win the stanley cup...The management may want to go deep in the playoffs but with todays salary cap it is difficult to do..unless you build through the draft and get the odd exceptional player.think wayne gretzky or syndey crosby.

Therefore they will always be a mediocre team and still sold out every game...

I actually think they overachieved this year and played boston tough..although the meltdown was tough to stomach and typical of most leaf teams in the recent years.
THe organization has done very well in the past few years, building through the draft and making heady trades getting players like Lupul and Gardiner in return. Quietly built a nice solid core and stocked the AHL cupboard. In reality, there are 30 teams that all have the cap issues and trying to land that magical unicorn pick of a Crosby or Malkin. Teams that don't, still manage to win the cup sometimes. Great coaching and good player selections via trade, UFA and Drafting is the difference. Things have changed a good bit and while I don't think the Leafs are "contenders" for the cup...right now....I think they are a team built for the playoffs and with the experience will come more rewards. Either way, it's great hockey to watch.