View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #11
GB EB

Drives: 2014 Stingray 2LT/Z51
My "car journal" would not be complete without my sales experience purchasing "Mac".
Here is part 1 of that experience.... visiting Ron Baker Chevy.... below is my "review" I've posted to dealer ratings . com

I first visited Ron Baker Chevrolet in January 2007 to purchase a Chevy Avalanche LTZ. The Sales lady was not very helpful. She had the "take it or leave it" type of attitude. "I would have to work this Saturday to get the vehicle you want so I really can't budge much on the price." (She actually said that to my face... out loud!) I found the Avalanche she would have had to take an hour out of her day to retrieve, I drove to THAT dealership, and bought it.

During my time owning this truck I had it serviced at Ron Baker and Mike Atkins always was extremely helpful and was the very reason I decided to give the Ron Baker sales staff another shot when I was ready to purchase a 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS. I let the sales staff know I am eligible for the GM Military discount. Then David M. in sales came back with "After talking to all the Managers, What they want me to do is to charge MSRP for the Camaro." (that is a cut-paste from the email, not my words, HIS!) I contacted GM about why I wasn't offered the Military discount I qualify for, they contacted Ron Baker Chevy and I was told to try again because they changed their mind about offering me the discount. I then got another quote from them which still did not come close to the price I had negotiated with another local dealer. (almost a $1,000 difference.)

I have since spoke with another local military member that qualified for the GM Military discount. He purchased a 2011 Camaro at Ron Baker. I asked him if he received the discount. He said yes, but they marked up the car about $3,000 over MSRP THEN took off the "discount". (I got the same car he did for $2,500 UNDER MSRP at another dealer.)

Ron Baker Chevrolet had a chance to sell me 2 vehicles in 3 years, valued at almost $90,000 and missed out due to sales staff that must think they are the only dealers in town. I don't think I was asking too much in my negotiations since I found other local dealers to sell to me at the price I thought was fair.

I don't know if Ron Baker is competative if you do not qualify for some sort of preffered pricing but if you are a member of the military, you'd be making a huge financial error in judgement to shop at Ron Baker.

*TROPHY RECIPIENT - GREATEST SHOW ON TURF 9/11/11*
*1ST PLACE MODERN MUSCLE - CORONADO SPEED FESTIVAL 9/23/11*
*AWARD OF EXCELLENCE - GOOD GUYS DEL MAR FALL NATIONALS 11/27/11*
*1ST PLACE / '82&UP CAMARO/FIREBIRD- FORT WALTON BEACH FF SHOW 2/16/13*
BUILD THREAD: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120353

Last edited by GB EB; 12-22-2010 at 06:10 PM.
GB EB is offline   Reply With Quote