View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #14
BlaSSt Off

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by asroka View Post
I searched and found this: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73977

Is that what you were talking about?

He lost power using the BBK shorties. No other headers were tested. And he did it with everything else stock.

I am a bit surprised that he *lost* power, but I'm not surprised that the shorties did nothing with stock mufflers. The mufflers are the bottleneck. The cat is a problem too, but better timing of the headers should flow more through the cat (More constant flow) unless you've got stock mufflers backing it up.

I want to see a real test with different brands and with free flowing exhaust behind it. I would bet money that at least some of them beat stock by a good deal, with or without the stock cats (Although getting rid of the cats is a no brainer, it's just not legal.)

So, I'm not sold on the shorties are worthless bit. With CAI, cat-back, and a good tune they should do quite a bit. However, I do buy the argument that I should spend my money on those other things first. So, I'll do that :-)
Spoken like a true engineer! A cat back has been PROVEN not to flow any better then the stock mufflers. The Cats are the "bottle neck" you speak of. Sure, shorties and a cat back SHOULD make better power from an engineering stand point, but its kinda like an when your working on a vehicle and your constantly saying "I wish the engineers would have to work on this thing!". Fact is, shorties do nothing and a cat back exhaust is for nothing more then sound. If you have the money to burn and you like to show off name brands, knock yourself out. If you want REAL performance, listen to the ones with REAL experiance.
BlaSSt Off is offline   Reply With Quote