View Single Post
Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #166
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Improving the fuel economy of the Z06 barely matters for CAFE. For 2014, GM will probably sell about 3 million cars & trucks in the US. The Z06 will probably be lucky to do 6000 units. That works out to 0.2% of their total fleet. There isn't really anything that you can do (besides killing the car off) that is going to cause any appreciable changes in GM's CAFE score.

I'm thinking they might be limiting it more because of durability. GM likes to brag about how many consecutive hours of wide open throttle their high performance engines can endure. Plus, didn't one of the articles say how durability was one of the reasons why they didn't go naturally aspirated (the AFM bits don't like spinning past 7 grand, apparently)
What I read is that they took AFM out of the 7.0 so that it could spin past 7k RPM. They said they couldn't meat the power output, durability and regulatory goals and to meet the regulations, power output would go down (I'm guessing from LS7 levels).

Edit: Here's the quote

"tadgejuechter
Our original intent was to do an NA engine, we were unable to achieve all of our performance, durability, and regulatory (emissions) goals with NA. We weren't even close. You couldn't just do DI, VVT, no cylinder deactivation, 7.0 liter motor with the increase we would have wanted. New regs could have led to a horsepower decrease."
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote