View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Project: Dynamat the Trunk is complete!!

I ordered the 36sf bulk pack from Amazon for only $140 shipped (9 sheets, each sheet 18" by 32").

What a PITA going around the weird shapes found in the trunk. The floor of the trunk is not flat, the walls have weird bends, curves, welds, and some wide open "caverns", and don't even get me started on all the miscellaneous electrical stuff held down with impossible to remove plastic clips. All of this hidden behind that nicely shaped carpeting.

The first night I spent about 2 hours getting the flat part of the trunk floor, and started working on the driver's side wall. The floor wasn't too bad because I could put down half-sheets at a time without having to dodge much. The wall however, was another story. I found myself cutting pieces down to 5x5 squares so I could wrap around the corners, bends, angles, etc. I think the part that made it even more difficult was trying to reach in from the back of the car, bend down, and wrap around to the left just to get just a little bit of leverage on the roller (I ended up using the rounded handle of a screwdriver) to get the mat pressed into all of the folds and depressions. At one point I was actually sitting inside the trunk of the car trying to get a better angle. I am glad I never got a picture of it, because I really don't want to remember that...

After that little bit was done, I did notice an improvement in the noise (or reduction in noise). It wasn't quite as good as I hoped it would be, but it was an improvement none-the-less. It was probably louder than it should have been because I did not fully reassemble the trunk as I only put the spare tire cover on and put the rear seat back up just so I could put the sub back in the trunk and be able to drive to work.

It was a few days later before I had some more free time to work on it again, and that night I spent another hour getting the rear wall (around the tail lights, tie down hooks, trunk latch, etc), and the passenger side wall done. These weren't as bad simply because I had gotten used to working with the material and knew roughly what shapes were needed.

Again, another slight improvement in sound reduction, but still not where I wanted to be. At this point, the only areas really left were around the spare tire compartment and the underside of the window (where the speakers are mounted). I didn't really want to do the underside of the window because I still want to replace those speakers at some point and don't want to hinder that work. I will probably do that area once the speakers are done...

Which left only the spare tire compartment. I didn't think this area would be necessary because it has the relatively soft plastic cover. But I did it last night anyways. Well not all of it, mostly because I was lazy and didn't want to remove the battery, so I only did the sides (down to the weld line around the bottom). That made a HUGE difference. Once the trunk was put back together I did a quick cruise around the neighborhood and tried to get the RPM's into the annoying drone range and the sound was a TON better. It's still loud, and it still drones a little, but now it's not headache-inducing loud. I think the big difference is that the reverberation coming from the trunk is gone so I only hear the exhaust and not the vibrating steel of the trunk.

When all was said and done, I still have a little more than 2.5 sheets left, so I can still finish out a few other places if I get the ambition.

Here is a pic:

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote