View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #1
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Arrow Purpose Built Road Course LS7 Camaro [COTW 1/19/15]

I've been running a lot of road courses in my L99, and really enjoyed installing my TVS2300 in my garage around Christmas 2012. The increase in HP was amazing - like driving a whole new car. I subsequently did a lot to help with heat (hex vents, splitter, big oil cooler) but still found my oil near or above 300 degrees after 20-25 minutes when I was running hard on VIR in the summer. Last time I was there in early July, I could only hit 135 on the back stretch, when I usually can hit 145. Was starting to think maybe I should stick to spring and fall track events.

Went to Summit Point two weeks ago and 5 laps out knew something was wrong. (see thread : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374324). I limped home. Then, I blew my engine trying to diagnose the problem.

The funny thing was, I had been talking to JusticePete over the summer about possibly getting a new engine. He's with Arrington Performance now. Arrington makes race engines. I went down to tour their manufacturing facility a few months back (about 45 minutes from VIR, in Martinsville VA) and was incredibly impressed. You would not believe the equipment they have, and what they can create. I griped about how heavy my car was in the nose with the supercharger in there, how I was always fighting heat, etc. Pete suggested they build me something based on an LS7 block (dry sump 427). I drooled.

So, when the L99 went (will know more next week about exactly what was busted inside), it was like a message from Fate: GET YOUR CAR TO ARRINGTON. I called a guy with a flatbed, coaxed the car on, and we headed for Martinsville. It's in the shop now while Pete and his guys put together a plan that gets me a 550-600 RWHP LS7. Will post more details as we go.

At the same time I have been thinking hard about stripping weight out of the car. Last time at Summit Point I ran without rear seats, seat belt anchors, and took out a bunch of plastic from the trunk and the rear seat area. Kinda loud but I like it. I might go further and strip the interior, and just leave my Kirkeys and cage in full time. Not really sure on that yet. Will see.

Anyhow, will post details on the build as it goes. I cannot wait to see what Arrington comes up with
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.

Last edited by SSSoon; 10-29-2014 at 05:22 PM.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote