View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #90
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Too much front camber

Throughout this year, I've lost count of the number of times my car has been up on the alignment rack. The main reason is to try various alignment settings to see how the car would respond.

The rear of the car is very well behaved. Oversteer is (mostly) predictable and managable with the throttle.

The front of the car is where the Camaro's 3800 lbs really rears its ugly head. Terminal understeer occurs much too easily and early. To battle this, I tried all sorts of camber settings.

-1.5° front camber caused understeer to occur early and easily.

-2.5° front camber made the front end grip much better, but at the cost of lost braking. You can really feel the difference how poorly the car brakes with too much camber.

-1.7° front camber seems to be a pretty good compromise. Next year, I plan to go back to the shop and dial in more -ve camber 0.1 degree at a time to try to get the best of grip and braking power.

My current alignment specs are as follows:

Front
Camber: -1.7°
Toe: -0.1° (out)
Caster: 7.3

Rear
Camber: -1.3° (max out stock adjusters)
Toe: +0.15° (in)
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote