View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
SCT versus HP Tuning

I am getting my car retuned in the next month or two, and need to decide which tuning software (or device) to use this time around.

When I had my Turbo installed, it was custom tuned via HP Tuning. I am using a different tuner this time around who is well known and reliable. I have been told that he uses SCT and HP Tuning. However, he prefers to tune via HP with most GM cars, but it was explained that either will do the job just fine.

Now, the main benefit of SCT for me is that I can store multiple maps on the SCT programmer since it's handheld, and I want to be able to have a tune that is safe for a car with CATS, and then another for without. This allows me to switch maps easily when it's time for Smogging the vehicle. I would be able to load the tune for stock cats after I put the stock ones back on and drive to the SMOG shop, and then use the other tune after I change out the CATS. The downside is the cost of the programmer in addition to the price of the custom tune I'm getting in a dynojet.

The HP tuning software is very widely used, reliable, and I have had the car tuned with it before. Now, the bad thing is that I can't switch maps like I would want in this case, and I would have to get the car reflashed with a new tune since there is no programmer. That would be more of a pain obviously.

Now, the real question is, can some of you tuning experts (and anyone with experience or great knowledge with the two types of software) explain some of the differences in terms of tuning potential, settings capability, and positives or negatives of using each type of software. I've searched some threads and found some useful info, but I would still like some more in depth opinions and factual information.

Thank you!
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote