Thread: Need For Speed
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman View Post
Well today, I surpassed the speed of many cars. Jumped out of a plane that was doing about 120 mph and experienced freefall for a few minutes before the chute opened. Since this was the first jump I ever did, it was tandem. But I have to say, anyone who wants to experience true speed, this is it.

So ZL1 brethren, and all the Shelby owners who like to tout their quarter times against the ZL1, try the skydive, then it's only you and gravity.

This is the Jakeman challenge!

See how many can answer this thread and say they did it at least once.

Of course those that did this in the service of our country are a breed apart and have no more to prove.
I don't know what kind of aircraft you jumped from but I had 32 jumps out of 4 different aircraft in years past. Not a ton but a few.... anyway they usually slow the aircraft to minimum stable velocity (about 45mph for most jump craft) before the jumpmaster lets a jumper out. It can easily take 3 minutes to get all the jumpers out and if the plane was doing 120 they would be spread 6 miles apart. Plus terminal freefall velocity even in a delta is around 120, ZL1 can easily hit that in fourth gear... I agree that first step is a rush but the actual speeds in skydiving are nothing compared to what any modern V8 is capable of.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote