View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Do you have a oil breather filter cap on your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King View Post
So I have read a lot about the whole oil burning smell after mine started to emit the smell after the dealer did the oil change. Not to mention when they did the change they only put in 6 quarts instead of 8 . It is an intermittent burning oil odor when stopped in general. I have dropped it off at the dealer and they say that they do not smell the odor. I asked them to ride with me and got an excuse like they are too busy or do not have enough people for me to even come in on the weekend.

I decided to look into it myself and got a borescope and stuck it through the vents in the bellhousing and you can see where the oil has pooled. They said it is just discoloration and not oil. Discoloration in the shape of an oil run that follows the center rib depression ? I asked them if putting only 6 quarts in would cause the smell, too which they denied only putting in 6 (I have the receipt stating the level was 2 quarts low after only 1 week and more needed to be added).

They told me that my aftermarket exhaust was most likely to blame for the smell and pointed to the welds on the back end of the exhaust. My NPP dual mode exhaust that came on the car is aftermarket? I guess that means that the half-shafts, rims, hood, rear spoiler, suspension, etc… are all aftermarket as well (1LE package) . That is what their shop manager told me. My wife smells it as well as everyone that has gotten in the car; except those wise techs at the dealer. Having asthma makes it even worse as it is causing breathing issues. It’s not a constant odor of burning oil all the time but it is getting more frequent. I have looked everywhere and could not find any oil leak except where I saw it in the bellhousing, where they say it isn’t even after looking at it with their scope.

The smell has been there for almost 1000 miles; about 3 weeks or so. The only mod to the car is an intake and the car has 15500 miles on it. It had the 1LE catch can installed. I replaced it back to factory and no change. I already made a complaint through GM/Chevrolet website and hope that I will get somewhere with them. Not sure what else to do other than try going to another chevy dealer that will have a tech ride with me to smell the problem and also hear the “broken CD motor sound” coming from the AC blower motor fan on low speed. They also refuse to fix that as well. Horrible service there.