View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #29
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclenut View Post
we have had clutchless full throttle shifts on motorcycles for years not sure why with all the electronics they couldn't do the same for a car.

we put a sensor in the shifter linkage the cuts the ignition for a split second and allows it to slip into the next gear. full throttle the entire time no clutch needed.
I think it may be related to the design of the transmission in motorcycles vs automobiles , sequential in motorcycles vs cars with the H type shift pattern, I have shifted gears in standard cars with no clutch but I had to rev match going into the next gear, and I have done no clutch up and down shifts on dirt bikes with no grinding or other noises, although the shifter effort was higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
At high RPM, my SS won't go into 2nd without grinding even with a lift-shift. I can't imagine what horrors await with a no-lift-shift.
on my cobalt SS when I no lift shifted into second it would usually grind sometimes it would just grind and not go into gear at all , I figure the synchronizer for second was weak , thats one of the reasons I started getting automatics ,there's less to worry about transmission wise , both self induced and defects
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote