View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #56
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
Did the cradle/subframe bushings in my garage using just hand tools and a propane torch. More info in this thread too:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...bushing+remove

Post 25 is what I did.
25 years ago, with the exception of the transmission and 9" Ford gear and spool setup, I built an entire 1962 Chevy II prostreet car in a 2 car garage - with NO outside help with heavy stuff. I did a backhalf w/wheeltubs, narrowed rear, and 12 point cage. and welded in subframe connectors. I then did a wrecking yard bought Mustang II rack and pinion steering up front. I built my own solid motor mounts and tranny crossmember. I traded an AMX body w/9" narrowed Ford rear and axles w/NHRA compliant long studs, for my ladder bars, rear coil-over Konis and mounts, and front Konis.

Today, I would be physically challenged to build a motor on a stand. If someone else bolted the motor to the stand and set it up. Then I would need help to set the hand ported double-hump heads on when ready. I had an easy 8 hours of work into those heads. Hand porting iron heads is a far cry from ordering CNC ported aluminum heads of today.

Yeah, my best days of building are behind me. Even with a right arm going numb, my best days of driving are ahead of me.