Thread: home made turbo
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
There is going to be just as much cost doing your own R&D manpower to create your own kit. I don't see in any way how you can "literally save thousands". Fabbing your own header? Ducting? Measuring clearances? Buying components?

Unless you are unemployed and free access to a supply of straight piping, CNC tooling, and metal bending equipment, there is no way you will save significant money doing a turbo kit yourself.

In addition, without tested and proven R&D, what's to say your homebrew kit will be reliable and work properly?

Nonsense
How is that even logical? It costs way more to pay someone to do a job than to do it yourself... Like I said "if you have the means" fabbing it yourself is way cheaper! Most cost is from labor, not parts! I'm not saying parts themselves are cheap or free, but in a turbo kit most of the cost is not the parts themselves. Measuring/bending, etc. of pipes costs you absolutly nothing but time if your doing it yourself and you can buy a turbo for anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. The piping is only a few hundred more dollars, and an intercooler will range in cost just like a turbo, and then a few other odds and ends for hardware and a BOV/wastegate. So if your smart about it and you do your own labor you could most defenetly have a kit built and installed and tuned ($500-$700) for less than 1/2 of what most of the available kits cost. It all depends on if you are able to do it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjer22x View Post
Well I am one that believes in proven results, and my kit can be considered a "home made turbo kit" and I have had this kit installed for over 2 years and run mid to low 11's all day long. The only thing that has broken were stock OEM parts.

And my total out of pocket cost was just around $5700- that is going from stock to fully tuned at the race track running 11's. Find me another twin Turbo kit for that same price installed and tuned and I will agree with you.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.
My point exactly... and this is a twin turbo, so a single turbo would be even slightly less than this.
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote