View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 02:40 PM   #23
IndyZ28

Drives: 1997 Silverado
My 2001 Z28 stripper hard top's shipping weight was around 3340lbs. according to the sheet that came with all the other paperwork in the folder. According to every other F-body owner that had a well optioned or t-top car, thiers was 3500lds. plus. I never got a 12.9 stock. First month I had it I put a Fast Toys Ram Air kit on it, took the back seats out and the front sway bar off to go to two tracks. Got a 12.97 @ Norwalk, Ohio and the next day ran a 12.98 @ Ubly, Michigan. Eventually with a better clutch, maf ends, msd plug wires, ngk tr 55 plugs some skinnies up front, hooker super comp headers, 2.5" true dual exhaust, a short belt and a lil computer tweaking by a GM friend, it ran a best of 12.44@117 on the stock RSA's out back. Switching to ET Drags that day netted me a best of 12.09@113 missing 4th gear. Shortly thereafter I was rearended and never got the car back to the track.
I think it depends more on driver and conditions at this point. The faster car doesn't always win. I've pulled hard on other cars only to lose because I couldn't make up the ground I lost at the starting line when I spun the tires to much. Even with slicks on I've lost to a higher hp car on radials. I've got video to prove it. I was just sleepin at the tree and he rolled out calmly. I came out the whole like a bat outta hell off the limiter and ran .28 seconds faster et. He would pull me a lil in every gear though and he beat me to the line.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I never worried about the stock times cause I always knew I was gonna make it faster. Hell, according to some purists changing to a k&n filter means its not stock anymore.
IndyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote