View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #24
Aaron Pfadt
Pfadt Race Engineering

Drives: 7.0 Liters of Fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Great job on this writeup!. However, your 8-10 hours is a little much. Doing the bushings for us and a Pedders dealer is a hour job. I have done quite a bit of them and 1 hour is plenty of time. We do not remove the diff from the subframe. We have developed a puller set. We use a 1/2 inch acme thread, which requires drilling out the center mounting hole just a little. We have a matching sized push plate and a reciever that the bushing will go into. Here is a link that shows you how to do it.

The diff mount bushings are critical bushings to help transfer torque more efficiently.

Now the link also shows an experimental process I did eliminating the engineered voids and it works. With our testing, we have found using bushings with engineered voids will put less shock on the diff and works well up to about 450hp at the ground. But guys running high hp, especially with drag radials, the diff needs far more support. So we have a harder dura, solid bushing that is good to over 900hp.

Aaron, if you would like info on this tool, just email me.

This was not meant to hijack this thread by no means. Aaron if it is, just email me and I will delete it.

thanks
mike
dms
No problem Mike. That is good information. Unfortunately, I do not think you can use a tool like this on both front bushings for the Camaro. The casting is different enough on the Camaro that the tool would interfere with case on the one side. I looked at making exactly such a tool and decided that it would not work. I'll check again with the CAD models, it would be a simple piece and would be useful for our shops and some DIY guys.

If you could do this without complete removal of the diff, you could save hours.

Even with diff removal, I think 4 or 5 hours is enough time.

-Aaron
Aaron Pfadt is offline   Reply With Quote