View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside Customs View Post
I just have a couple of questions. I'm really not trying to knock hotchkis at all as I like some of the products they offer. However when you say that coilovers setups are 3x as much that's not really true. We have a SS2.5 package that is under 2100 bucks that comes with coilovers, sway bars, front radius rod bushings, full cradle bushings, and diff bushings.

The hotchkis race pack is more expensive and doesn't address the diff housing or the front radius bushings which are two of the biggest weakest links on the Camaro chassis.

I also notice that this car is a vert. The verts come with the GM factory strut tower brace and there is absolutely no reason to change it out unless you just like the Hotchkis STB better.

Now let me be clear in saying there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Hotchkis race pack. It is a VERY good option. Hotchkis takes a different approach to controlling the rear cradle than we do and there's nothing wrong with that. But to generically say that X products cost X amount more just shows that you need to do a bit more research as to what's available on the market.
I stated that some of the high quality coil over kits can cost as almost 3 times as much, I did not state all coil over kits.
There are a lot of kits out there, price wise for a complete kit its hard to beat the Hotchkis stuff. They are out at the track every couple of months torture testing and developing new stuff.
I've been building custom cars and trucks for 27 years, I could go out and piece together a kit but that doesn't mean its going to perform.
I'm sure you have a good kit but where is your track data, media coverage, user reviews. I researched all the major players and what they had to offer.
The end user here wanted and all around package that performs without constantly having to adjust ride height, compression, rebound and constant alignment settings. With the Hotchkis race pack, you install it, balance it with the end links and set up the alignment for an aggressive street setup and you go have fun and you also have a comfortable daily driver.
There are very few suspension companies who test as much as Hotchkis.
Thats also how they found there strut tower brace offered my structural support than the factory unit. The factory piece was an after thought to help with some of the cowl shake the pre-production cars were having.
Over 27 years of building cars I have a good idea on what works on which cars, and I'm not saying they are the only suspension company, but as far as the Camaro goes, it works really well, I've been testing it on my personal car for just over 2 years.
I also totally agree with you on the diff bushings, I will be installing some Energy Suspension diff bushings in the next week.
There are many ways you can go suspension wise, and not everybody is going to agree with me, but I listen to what my end user wants, and what they expect out of the mods that are being performed. What I want a car to do may be different than what you want the car to do. For Exflirt's convertible it gives her the handling she's looking for, the ride quality she wants and the convenience of showing up to a track day and only having to check and set her tire pressures to be competitive.