View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #29
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I wonder how much rwhp do you think these would add over that stock rotors due to the weight savings?

Is there a down side to these (other than cost)? I mean do they warp more easily than the stock rotors and do they last as long?
There would be no gain in actual HP. The gains come from decreasing the unsprung, rotating mass. Quicker acceleration, better braking, and less weight. If you are on a straight line drag strip, the additional weight savings could mean the edge in a heads up race. While the weight savings on these rotors is huge as a percentage of rotor weight, the total weight saved here is not tremendous in the overall sense on a 3800 lb car. 100 lbs might get you a 0.1 second advantage in a quarter mile race, so here the edge would be smaller, but still an edge.

A greater advantage would be seen in a road racing or auto-crossing application. Lower unsprung mass means the tires stay planted better, and less rotating mass means it takes less energy to accelerate (in a positive or negative direction).

As for a side by side comparison to stock rotors, I can't really say which lasts longer. A lot of that is due to how the brakes would be used, i.e. normal wear and tear, road racing, etc. Another variable would include what pad is being used with which rotor.

The increased ability to dissipate heat/gases would definitely give the slotted rotor an advantage against warping.