View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #98
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
I would expect the 2012 V8 to be a direct-injected engine. There's simply no reason (and no excuse) not to go that route.

The new Challenger SRT8 392 will clock in at around 475hp, GM needs direct-injection to pull another 50+ ponies out of thin air.
Its possible that the 2012 Camaro can get the Gen V motors as they started the tooling up process some time ago. Maybe they will have a early gen V release for the 2012 Camaro and 2012 Corvette to get some sales back in the Corvette. Other then that I don't see them adding direct injection and being so close to the Gen V I didn't see them altering the LS3 for more power. However considering that the Mustang has the 5.0L engine which in the latest test ran to 60 in 4.4 seconds makes me wonder. There are some other things they can do to the camaro SS to get the power up however I wonder what that will do to fuel economy. Considering that the Mustang gets more miles per gallon boosting power may make the Camaro faster but at the cost of fuel economy. So maybe Gen V direct injected VVT engine would be the way to go.

BTW the Camaro SS at competes head to head with the Mustang GT and Challenger R/T in price at $30,000 each. The SRT8 model starts at $42,000 which is priced with the Mustang GT500 which starts at $48,000. The Camaro Z28 will compete with those two, though even with the new 6.4L 470BHP engine in the Challenger its going to be slightly faster then the Camaro (due to weight).

If the new V-6 produces around 330BHP and they allow you to opt for the FE4 suspension option then Camaro will see a boost. When I test drove the SS Camaro I felt that the suspension tuning was a bit on the soft side. Those who would be looking at something like a BMW 135i may consider a V-6 Camaro RS with the FE4 suspension a manual transmission and 330ish Horsepower. Not to mention the new interior with Navigation that I think the 2012 model will get.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote