Thread: IRS question
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
454lsxss

Drives: 07 Scion tC. for now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I think it depends a lot on how you abuse the rear end too. I know of a guy who's running a big cam, high stall, and short geared rear ended car into the tens on nitrous and didn't have a problem until a 200-shot, I think it was. He destroyed the ring gear if I'm not mistaken, but didn't abuse the rear end. That was the OEM 10-bolt which is notoriously unforgiving. He was spraying out of the hole most of the time too. He's changed to a 9-inch now so won't really have to worry about rear ends anymore though, LOL.

I think it is too early to know. However, since GM's gotten rid of the axle hop, I'm sure that will help keep the rear end alive longer. In addition, like gtahvit's already said, there are companies out there that can fortify the rear suspension better too. I'm sure there are going to be more companies out there that are going to engineer girdles, like the 'Vettes have, to take more power.

Simply, IMVHO, if you're planning on 600+ horsepower, and running at the track often, I'd seriously just know you're going to have to either spend a lot of money on the rear end, or know that you may have to consider a SAS rear end conversion. If you only drive it on the street though, you probably won't have many issues though.

Thanks. That was pretty much the answer I was looking for. She's gonna be a street car. With an occasional weekend or two at the track But, this will all be in good time. I'm just gonna start with intake and full exhaust and move forwards from there. So it might be a while before I get 700 ponies...but it will happen
454lsxss is offline   Reply With Quote