View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #64
bkwagonss

Drives: 2011 Caprice PPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Not sure what those are - are they the light sources connected to the light tubes?

Sorry for more questions:

you're buying 2 GM light sources and 1 DigiKey tube. Are you cutting the tube into 2 pieces - 1 short one for the left side of the speedo cluster and 1 longer one for the right side?

Then, you're connecting the short light source to the connector on the left panel, and the longer right side of the dash light source is being connected to the connector under the speedo cluster - hidden by the tape?

Is that correct??
Thanks...
The pictures aren't that clear but this sounds correct.
I think what most of us didn't understand in the begining was what the parts actually looked like. (maybe someone can take good pictures of all the parts before you install them)
Seems the light source (part from GM) looks like a little gun with the colored LED light inside and a connector on the end to plug into the sockets in the dash. The light tube is basically a 5mm thick fiber optic clear flexable stick.
When you attach the light tube to the end of the light source and turn on the light source it shines the light down the tube and the whole tube glows the color of the LED.
And since the light tube is just a piece of plastic you can cut it to any length.
So like described above, you do cut the light tube to length for each side of the dash. Stick the light source on to the end. Place it in the dash as described and plug it in.
I'm ordering the parts as soon as they are available.
I'm definetly doing this mod.
Only part that scares me is pulling all the pieces off the dash without breaking them.
1971 C10 (restoring, including LT1 from Caprice)
bkwagonss is offline   Reply With Quote