View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
The turbo can only push as much air as the ducting would allow it to. The tubing in the Mazda is gonna be the determining factor here, not the turbo. And besides the duct work, the motor has a maximum flow that is also gonna limit the amount of volume that the engine can even use. That's where the waste gate comes in. It dumps the excess to the atmosphere. Poorly selected and tuned waste gates can blow engines actually more often than big turbos do. I don't see much issue with the car running on 24 psi of boost. If a non-forged Honda 1.6/1.8 can run over 35psi, I wouldnt worry too much about 24 in a larger, forged motor...
This is somewhat accurate, but misleading at the same time. Hot or cold side piping c an be a bottleneck, but a more efficient turbo will always be able to push more volume through the same ducting as a less efficient one. More efficient turbos increase charge air temperatures over ambient far less than smaller, less efficient turbos and thus will flow the same volume at lower boost pressures. With a proper intercooler, the right tune, and a reciprocating assembly that can handle the force, 28-30psi on a 3076r can be fine. As far as reaching "maximum flow" for the engine. . . that's a bit of a stretch for this example, he is most definitely limited by the strength of his motor, not the displacement. I have seen 2.0l I4s making over 600awhp in daily driven street cars and 500+ in 2.5l on multiple occasions. The wastegate bleeds excess exhaust to regulate boost in the turbo, it does not bleed intake air.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote