View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Attorneyguy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT
Need your help to come up with a navigation solution for my new Camaro!

I currently own a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, and I freakin' love it. I also plan on buying a new Camaro (can't wait to sit in one at the auto show in February!). But I am disappointed that the Camaro (like the G8) does not have a navigation option (and, no...OnStar nav does NOT count!). So I need a good solution for navigation in my Camaro. So let's start brainstorming!

Below is my Bluetooth/navigation solution for my 2008 G8 GT (believe it or not, the 2008 G8s don't have Bluetooth either). As you can see from the photos below, I went with the Garmin nuvi 265T and installed it in my cubby hole under the G8's main console unit.

My first step was to remove the side panel to access the G8’s main console area so I could install a second DC outlet by hard wiring it to the vehicle’s center outlet…

The next challenge was to come up with a way to mount the nuvi in place so that it didn’t move around when I pressed the screen or drove around town aggressively. I started playing around with the mounting bracket that comes with the nuvi itself…

To create the base, I improvised. In true hillbilly fashion, I used a simple post-it package and used electrical tape to attach it to the mounting bracket…

I then installed my half-assed mount in the cubby hole with Velcro. I also attached Velcro to the front of the mounting mechanism to attach the nuvi…

I then attached the nuvi to the mount. The hillbilly looking appearance of my half-assed (yet effective) mount is irrelevant since the mount will be hidden from view…

I then placed the nuvi and mount into the cubby hole. I also ran the wiring from the nuvi up through the underside of the main console (yes, there is a hole there so you can access it) and concealed the wiring inside the center unit. I then reattached the panel that I had removed to access the wiring…

This Bluetooth/nav solution works great. When I turn on my car, the nuvi turns on automatically. When I turn off my car, the nuvi turns off automatically (since the G8’s front DC outlet loses power when the car is turned off). It looks completely integrated, and the risk of theft is substantially reduced given the nav unit’s location and low profile…

It just makes the G8 look that much better inside. And I have not had a concern with safety in looking down at the unit to view information. The nuvi 265T speaks street names, so I don’t even have to look at the unit at all times. I just listen to the voice prompts. Even when I need to take a look at the screen, a glance is all it takes…

Sure, I wish the G8 came with a nav unit that displayed information on the main screen, but this is the next best solution. I think it looks better than placing a nav unit on top of the dashboard (where the unit is visible to the entire world, including thieves). Plus I like that I don’t have to turn the unit on and off every time I get in the car (and there is no concern about ever losing power).

For $199, it’s a nice set up (and probably a better value than if the G8 did come with a navigation option!).

So what is my navigation solution for the Camaro??! I have been studying the interior photos, but I still don't know what to do. Thanks!
Attorneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote