View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Not true at all at all on roots requiring a W/M kit... Simply run a air-to-water intercooler. As for "hot coolant", dump a bag of ice in before you make a pass at the track or BETTER YET, go with the RX Super Chiller thing! LOL! Lots of folks simply run the intercooler without meth. In fact I was just talking to Lidio over at Alternative Auto and he says very few guys are opting for meth and he installs a LOT of roots type blowers. BTW, there is nothing wrong at all with a properly setup meth kit and the power gains can be very impressive!

Also not all centri's are air-to-air.... Vortech uses air-to-water... although i think they do know offer air-to-air. But with water-to-air.. put that nice big reservoir in the trunk and load it up with a big bag of ice! When you are racing in August and the ambient temp is close to 100 degree, that cold ICE WATER isn't so hot! LOL

Thing is roots type blowers have never been that available for the V6s... so don't think it's really the tuning issues... Look at the V6 Mustang. There are already a couple of centri kits out for the new 3.7 but no roots. In the previous 4.0 V6 there was only 1 kit and that was a Eaton from Explorer Express... Took them quite a while to bring that out for the 4.0 in the Mustang... So even if the tuning in the Camaro was simple, not sure we would see a root type blower available...
People don't have to make the right decisions, but I would think most installers would "recommend" a meth kit after doing a few pulls and analyzing the IAT's. The fact of the matter is there is a lot of heat soak from roots style blowers to the engine.

Regardless, of the varying methods (meth, chiller, ice, et al) to cool down the roots style blower (engine) my point it it's always better "not" to have to worry about any secondary systems. I dont' "need" any of that on my ProCharger setup.

I don't want to use meth if I don't "have" to, and I don't want a trunk full of ice or any other gadgets to keep my IAT's cool if my blower choice doesn't transfer any additional heat to my engine. Additionally, what do you do when doing road course laps? Stop mid-way to cool the SC?

And, yes you're right ProCharger the first to come out with the Air-to-Air method and now everyone else wants to follow suit.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote